Spicy and Tangy Jackfruit Recipe: Also known as kathal in Hindi, jackfruit is mostly cultivated in tropical regions of India. It is oval in shape and has thorn like projections on the outer surface. Unripe jackfruit is light green in color, which turns light yellow when it ripens. Ripe jackfruit smells a little pungent. Its inner portion is edible, and cooked in a variety of ways, stir dry or in curry form. Its seeds are also used in making curry. Jackfruit contains good source of dietary fibre which acts as a good laxative. It also contains vitamins, potassium, magnesium and iron. Kathal ke sabzi is simple to make and delicious in taste. This spicy Indian kathal ke sabzi is served with steamed rice, roti or parathas. Let us see the procedure of making homemade easy recipe of kathal ki sabzi.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
Ingredients for Jackfruit Sabzi:
½ kg jackfruit
6-8 tbsp mustard oil
1 large onion sliced
1tbsp paste of ginger
1/1/2 tbsp garlic paste
2 tbsp red chili powder
1 tbsp turmeric powder
1tbsp coriander powder
½ tbsp garam masala powder
½ tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp cumin powder
2 bay leaves
1/1/2 water as per your requirement
Salt for taste
Chopped coriander for garnishing
Method for Jackfruit:
1. For peeling jackfruit, first oil your hands properly and remove the outer skin of kathal with the help of a sharp knife. Now dice kathal into small pieces. Make sure chopped pieces are properly deseeded. If extracted seeds are larger in size then you can cut them into half before using them in the dish. After cutting kathal rinse with water.
2. Heat mustard oil. Put the flame on simmer.
3. Now add cumin seeds and bay leaves. After they splutter, add sliced onion. Fry onion for 30 seconds.
4. After frying add ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt. Stir fry for 30 seconds.
5. Add diced kathal pieces.
6. Fry until the diced pieces of kathal become tender.
7. After stir frying add water as per requirement to make shorba(gravy)of a thick consistency.
8. Now cover kadhai with lid and cook this sabzi for 15-20 minutes.
9. Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve the dish in a serving bowl with rotis, steamed rice or parathas
Tip: Instead of red chilli you can also use green chilli paste.
Enjoy this ultimate, easy to cook recipe at home and share your finger licking experience with us right below the recipe. We are eager to hear from you!