Navratri is celebrated in northern India. During the nine- day festival people worship goddess Durga by observing fast. The recipes of navratri are made without any onion and garlic because of the pungent smell they emit. Even selected spices are used like cumin seeds, rock salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder. So here are some of the recipes that can be eaten during the fasting.
Aloo ka Raita
Preparation time -15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
2 potatoes boiled and peeled
1tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp roasted cumin powder
1tbsp roasted peanuts
Rock salt for taste
2 Cups Curd
1. Beat curd and put it in a big bowl.
2. Boil the potato and take out the outer skin and cut potato into small cubes.
3. Add chilli powder, rock salt, roasted cumin powder and peanut in the curd and mix well.
4. Add Potato cubes and mix it in the curd mixture.
5. Add 2tbsp oil and add cumin seeds. When they crackle pour over the beaten curd.
6. Put the mixture in the serving bowl and mix well.
7. Put it in a refrigerator for chilling.
8. Serve chilled with other fasting recipes.
Singhare ka Halwa
Singhare (water chestnut) ka halwa is very simple and easy recipe which is made during navratri. It is a sweet dish which is very nutritious, tasty and best for fasting.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
1 cup singhare ka atta
6 tbsp ghee
1 cup sugar
4 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp green cardamoms-powdered
1 tbsp almonds-blanched shredded
1. Heat a pan and add water and sugar. Let the sugar dissolve.
2. Take another pan adds ghee, after heating ghee put this pan in simmer.
3. Fry this atta properly and avoid burning of the atta.
4. When atta is fried add already prepared sugar mixture.
5. Add cardamom powder and sim the flame till the water is absorbed.
6. Stir it in between so that it would not stick in the pan and lumps do not form in it.
7. When the ghee is coming out of the edges turn off the flame.
8. Take out in a bowl. Garnish with chopped Almond and serve hot.
Enjoy these easy recipes while fasting during Navratri and do not forget to post your comment below.
Wishing Happy Navratri!!!