The name Biryani originates from the Farsi (Persian) word ‘Birian’ which means fry/roast before cooking. Vegetable Biryani is normally served as a complete meal, made with an array of spices, rice, and mixed vegetables. It is normally made with basmati rice. Vegetable Biryani is an Indian rice dish full with flavor. Try this recipe to satisfy all the senses and have a taste of very popular and widely recognized Indian cuisine. You can serve with plain yogurt and mango pickle. The dish works well for either lunch or dinner. Let’s see the step by step procedure of preparing Vegetable Biryani.
Vegetable Biryani Recipe
Preparation Time: 40-45 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes
Total time: 1 hr-35 minutes
2 cups Basmati Rice
1 cup Mixed Vegetable finely diced (red and green bell pepper cauliflower, potato, carrot, French beans)
150 gms Green Peas
3 Finely Sliced Onion
2 Finely Sliced Green Chillies
1 clay handi or handi type vessel
For Biryani Masala
1 tbsp Ginger paste
1tbsp Garlic paste
1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 whole dried red chilli
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp Saffron water
¼ tbsp turmeric powder
2 whole Cinnamon stick (dalchini) and 1 tbsp Cinnamon powder
½ tbsp Cumin Seeds (jeera)
4 whole Cloves (laung)
1/2 tsp whole Black Pepper and Powder
4 Tomatoes finely chopped
4 tbsp ghee
3/4 cup of water
100 gms whisked yoghurt
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
3 tbsp Dry Fruits (cashew nuts, raisins)
Salt to taste
1. Wash rice and soak for 1 hr and then drain the water.
2. Partly cook the rice. Make sure they are not cooked completely.
3. Cut all the vegetables into small thin diced pieces.
4. Heat ghee in the clay handi or in pressure cooker.
5. To this add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, bay leaf and all whole gram masala, Cinnamon stick, Cloves, Whole black pepper.
6. Now add onion and fry until it turns golden brown in color.
7. Add chopped green chilli, ginger and garlic paste, and turmeric and chilli powder.
8. Fry for few min and then stir for a minute.
9. Now add all the diced vegetables (Tomato, red and green bell pepper cauliflower, potato, carrot, French beans and peas).
10. Now add 50 gm Yoghurt and add 3/4th water. Reserve the remaining yogurt. Mix well and put the lid and let it cook for 2 mins. After cooking for 2 mins add Dry Fruits (cashew nuts, raisin). If not using pressure cooker then bring the entire vegetable mixture to a boil. Then simmer until the vegetables are cooked.
11. Add salt and mix well. In this handi or pressure cooker sprinkle half water of saffron, half yoghurt and chopped coriander leaves.
12. Spread half of the rice. Again sprinkle remaining water of saffron, and the remaining half yoghurt and chopped coriander and spread the remaining rice and seal the lid with dough if you are cooking in handi. This is called dum cooking. If using a pressure cooker, just add 1/2 cup curd and 3 1/2 cup water to the gravy and cook up to 2 whistles only.
13. Cook in low flame for 8-12 mins.
14. Garnish with chopped coriander and Serve vegetable Biryani with raita and pickle.
Tip: You can also use electric rice cooker.
It is the quickest and easiest way to cook Biryani. The slight flavors of the garam masala, onions and curd get infused in the vegetables and make it a really yummy dish to relish!!!